The martyrs Acepsimus, Bishop of Naeson; Joseph the Presbyter; and Aeithalas the Deacon were Christians living in Persia at the time of Shapur II. Eastern Christianity commemorates them together as saints on November 3, but Aeithalas is sometimes also remembered on September 1.
Bishop Acepsimus was well-known for spreading the Christian faith. After King Shapur began his persecution of Christians in Persia, Acepsimus was siezed along with Joseph and Aeithalas. Having endured cruel imprisonment for three years, Acepsimus was beheaded, and his companions stoned to death in 376.
- You were pillars of the Church, O servants of godliness,
- and you humbled the proud worshippers of fire.
- Much afflicted hierarch Akepsimas, Joseph the presbyter and Aethalas the deacon,
- pray to Christ our God
- to grant us His great mercy.
Kontakion (Second Tone)
- You celebrated the mysteries blamelessly, O wise one,
- and became yourself an acceptable sacrifice, O divinely blessed one!
- You gloriously drank of the cup of Christ, Holy Akepsimas.
- Together with your fellow sufferers you are praying unceasingly to Christ God for us all.
Apolytikion (Fourth Tone)
- Thy Martyrs, O Lord, in their courageous contest for Thee
- received as the prize the crowns of incorruption and life from Thee, our immortal God.
- For since they possessed Thy strength, they cast down the tyrants and wholly destroyed the demons' strengthless presumption.
- O Christ God, by their prayers, save our souls, since Thou art merciful.
Kontakion (Second Tone)
- The Myst'ries of Christ thou ven'rably didst celebrate,
- becoming thyself a sacrifice that He received;
- for the cup of Christ thou drankest in glory, O wise Acepsimas,
- with thy fellow athletes, O Saint,
- and ceaselessly prayest Christ for all of us.
- Acepsimus: Acepsimas, Acepsimos, Akepsimas, Akepsimos, Akepsimus
- Aeithalas: Aethalas, Aithalas, Aithilahas, Haifal, Haiphal
- Symeon the martyr of Persia
External Links and SourcesEdit
- Martyrdom of St. Acepsimas and of His Companions The Ecclesiastical History of Sozomen Book 2, Chapter 13 by Salaminius Hermias Sozomen
- Martyrs Akepsimos the Bishop, Joseph the Presbyter and Haiphal the Deacon of Persia from the OCA website
- Holy Martyrs Bishop Acepsimas, Presbyter Joseph and Deacon Aithalas includes a brief description and a kontakion from the Holy Transfiguration of Christ Cathedral (OCA) of Denver, CO
|This article is a stub. You can help Christian Knowledgebase Wiki by.|