The third day of August.
- 435: Deposed Patriarch of Constantinople Nestorius, considered the originator of Nestorianism, was exiled by Byzantine Emperor Theodosius II to a monastery in Egypt.
- 1492: Christopher Columbus sets sail from Palos de la Frontera, Spain.
- 1604: John Eliot, English missionary (d. 1690)
- 1692: John Henley, English clergyman (d. 1759)
- 1901: Stefan Cardinal Wyszyński, Polish Catholic prelate (d. 1981)
- 1905: Franz Cardinal König, Austrian Catholic archbishop (d. 2004)
- 1922: Robert Sumner, American Baptist evangelist and author
- 1923: Shenouda III of Alexandria, Pope of the Coptic Christianity
- 1527: Scaramuccia Trivulzio, Italian cardinal
- 1528: Elizabeth Luther, daughter and second child of Martin Luther (born 1527)
- 1643: Brian Cansfield, English Jesuit priest, martyr
- Saint Abidon
- Saint Gamaliel
- Saint Nicodemus
- Translation of Saint Olaf of Norway, king, martyr [Norway]
- Saint Walthen, abbot of Melrose
- Invention of Saint Stephen [common; Paris, in green]