The ninth day of August.
- 1483. Opening of the Sistine Chapel
- 1993. Pope John Paul II apologizes for Catholic involvement with the African slave trade.
- 2001. In Jerusalem, 15 people die and 130 are wounded in the Sbarro restaurant suicide bombing.
- 2005. The Kansas Board of Education drafted new "science standards that require critical analysis of evolution – including scientific evidence refuting the theory." This may allow the teaching of intelligent design in Kansas schools.
- 1726. Francesco Cetti, Italian Jesuit scientist (d. 1778)
- 1845. André Bessette, Canadian member of the Congregation of Holy Cross (Roman Catholic), (d. 1937)
- 1921. Ernest Angley, televangelist
- 117. Trajan, Roman Emperor (b. 53)
- 378. Valens, Roman Emperor (killed in battle) (b. 328)
- 1048. Pope Damasus II dies in Rome, after reigning for only 23 days.
- 1534. Cardinal Cajetan, Italian theologian (b. 1470)
- Saint Auctor, bishop of Metz [Metz]
- Saint Domitian,bishop of Châlons-sur-Marne), confessor [Châlons-sur-Marne]
- Saint Fedlimin/Felimy, bishop of Kilmore
- Saint Firmus and Saint Rusticus
- Saint Herneus, abbot, confessor [Le Mans]
- Saint Jean Vianney
- Saint Lawrence (Vigil) [common]
- Saint Maurilius
- Saint Nathy (David), bishop of Achonry
- Saint Romanus, martyr [common] (Romanus Ostiarius, died 258)
- Saint Secundianus and companions, martyrs [Meaux]
- Blessed Ceferino Jimenez Malla
- St. Edith Stein, died 1942