Bernard L. Ramm (1916-1992) born in Butte, Montana was a Baptist theologian and apologist within the broad Evangelical tradition. He wrote prolifically on topics concerned with biblical hermeneutics, religion and science, Christology, and apologetics.
Ramm's tertiary education included a B.A. University of Washington, B.D. Eastern Baptist Seminary, and M.A. & Ph.D. University of Southern California. He also undertook additional studies at the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Basel, Switzerland, and the Near Eastern School of Theology, Beirut, Lebanon.
His academic teaching career began in 1943 when he joined the faculty at the Bible Institute of Los Angeles (now Biola University, La Mirada, California). He became Professor of Philosophy at Bethel College and Seminary, and then Professor of Religion at Baylor University, Texas. Most of his academic teaching was conducted at the American Baptist Seminary of the West at Covina, California, where he taught between 1958-74 and again from 1978-86. At that seminary he held the post of Professor of Systematic Theology.
- Protestant Christian Evidences, Moody Press, Chicago, 1953.
- Types of Apologetic Systems, Van Kampen Press, Wheaton, 1953.
- Christian View of Science and Scripture, William B. Eerdmans, Grand Rapids, 1954.
- Special Revelation and the Word of God, William B. Eerdmans, Grand Rapids, 1961.
- Varieties of Christian Apologetics: An Introduction to the Christian Philosophy of Religion, Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, 1962.
- A Handbook Of Contemporary Theology, William B. Eermans, Grand Rapids, 1966.
- Protestant Biblical Interpretation: A Textbook of Hermeneutics, 3rd revised edition, Baker Book House, 1970.
- The God Who Makes A Difference: A Christian Appeal to Reason, Word, Waco, 1972.
- The Evangelical Heritage, Word, Waco, 1973.
- After Fundamentalism: The Future of Evangelical Theology, Harper & Row, San Francisco, 1983.
- An Evangelical Christology: Ecumenic and Historic, Thomas Nelson, Nashville, 1985.
- Offense to Reason: A Theology of Sin, Harper & Row, San Francisco, 1985.
- Ramm and others, Hermeneutics, Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, 1987.
- Stanley Grenz (ed). Perspectives on Theology in the Contemporary World: Essays in Honor of Bernard Ramm, Mercer University Press, Macon, Georgia, 1990.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|