Church Divinity School of the Pacific is a seminary of the Episcopal Church. CDSP is the official seminary for Province VIII. It is located in Berkeley, California, in the Diocese of California, and is the only Episcopal seminary located in the Western states.
Academic Environment Edit
CDSP is a member school of the Graduate Theological Union, a network of nine Christian seminaries from a variety of denominational backgrounds, and includes several institutes of study in religious topics. Except for two of the schools, GTU's members are all within a few blocks of each other, and students' ability to register for classes at any of the member schools means that ecumenism is a strength of the union. Additionally, students may enroll in classes at University of California, Berkeley, two blocks to the south of CDSP.
Degrees Offered Edit
- Masters in Divinity (M. Div.) designed for seminarians preparing for ordination
- Masters in Theological Studies (M.T.S.), an academic theology degree
- Master of Arts (M.A.) offered jointly by CDSP and the GTU, primarily preparation for a Doctorate and teaching
- a concurrent M.Div./M.A. program
- Doctorate of Philosopy (Ph.D.) offered via the GTU, and designed for university-based scholarship, writing, and teaching
- Doctorate in Theology (Th.D.) offered via the GTU, and designed for scholars "whose intellectual goals will gain focus through a theologically-defined academic lens"
- Certificate of Anglican Studies (C.A.S.) a one year graduate certificate typically used by those on the ordination track in the Episcopal Church who have completed their M.Div. at a non-Anglican seminary to increase their understanding of Anglican theology, polity, and history
- Certificate of Theological Studies (C.T.S.) a one year graduate certificate for those who wish to experience theological education without necessarily earning a degree.