The fifth day of December.
- 633: Fourth Council of Toledo takes place.
- 1484: Pope Innocent VIII issues the Summis desiderantes, a papal bull that deputizes Heinrich Kramer and James Sprenger as inquisitors to root out alleged witchcraft in Germany, and leads to one of the severest witch hunts in European history.
- 1496: King Manuel I of Portugal issues a decree of expulsion of "heretics" from the country.
- 1590: Niccolò Sfondrati elected Pope Gregory XIV.
- 1979: Sonia Johnson is formally excommunicated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for her outspoken criticism of the church concerning the proposed Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
- 4th day of Advent (Western tradition) in 2007.