The tenth day of January.
- 236. Election of Pope Fabian.
- 1939. Cardinal Eugenio Maria Giuseppe Giovanni Pacelli (later Pope Pius XII sends a circular telegram supporting British efforts to aid German Jewish refugees.
- 1940. Pope Pius XII appoints two Jews to the Vatican Academy of Science.
- 1984: The United States and the Vatican establish full diplomatic relations after 117 years.
- 1607: Isaac Jogues, French Jesuit missionary (d. 1646)
- 1715: Christian August Crusius, German philosopher and theologian (d. 1775)
- 1828: Herman Koeckemann, German Catholic prelate (d. 1892)
- 1840: Louis Nazaire Bégin, French Canadian archbishop and cardinal (d. 1925)
- 681: Pope Agatho
- 1276: Pope Gregory X (bc. 1210)
- 1645: William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury, martyred by beheading. (born 1573.
- 2005: Metropolitan Wasyly Fedak, primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (b. 1909)
- Basil the Great, Bishop of Caesarea, 379
- Gregory of Nazianzus, Bishop of Constantinople, c. 389
- Gregory, Bishop of Nyssa, c. 385 (Commemoration) (LCMS
- Peter Orseolo, Doge of Venice and saint
- St. Gregory, Bishop of Nyssa. Brother of St. Basil the Great (Eastern Catholic)
- Saint Gregory of Nyssa, bishop (394)
- Saint Dometian of Melitene, bishop (601)
- Saint Marcian of Constantinople, presbyter (471)
- Saint Paul of Obnora in Vologda, abbot (1429)
- Saint Macarius of Obnora in Vologda, abbot (14th century)
- Blessed Theosebia the Deaconess, sister of Saint Basil the Great (385)
- Saint Ammon, monk
- Saint Macarius of the Kiev Caves Monastery
- Repose of Hieroschemamonk Antipas of Valaam (1882)