The fifth day of January.
- 1527: Felix Manz, a leader of the Anabaptist congregation in Zürich, was executed by drowning.
- 1839. Martin Stephan and 750 other Saxon Lutherans arrive in New Orleans. Settling in Perry County, Missouri, they would go on to form what would become the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.
- 1962: A replica of the miraculous statue, the Holy Infant of Good Health, is presented to Blessed Pope John XXIII.
- 1209: Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1272)
- 1548: Francisco Suarez, Spanish theologian (d. 1617)
- 1880: Serbian orthodox bishop Nikolai Velimirovic (old calendar)
- 1655: Pope Innocent X (b. 1574)
- 1860: Saint John Nepomucene Neumann, first American bishop to be canonized (b. 1811)
- Prophet Micah (9th century BC)
- Martyr Theopemptus, bishop of Nicomedia and Theonas (303)
- Saint Syncletica of Alexandria (350)
- Saint Apollinaris, virgin of Egypt (470)
- Saint Gregory of Crete, monk (820)
- Saint Phosterius the Hermit
- Saint Menas of Sinai
- Martyr Theoidus
- Martyr Sais
- Martyr Romanus of Mount Athos
- Saint Tatiana
- Repose of hieroschemamonk Symeon of the Pskov Caves (1960)