The ninth day of January.
- 1349: The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing bubonic plague, is rounded up and incinerated. (See antisemitism)
- 1431: Judges' investigations for the trial of Joan of Arc begin in Rouen, France, the seat of the English occupation government.
- 1806: Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson receives a state funeral and is interred in St Paul's Cathedral.
- 2005: Elections are held to replace Yasser Arafat as head of the Palestine Liberation Organization. He is succeeded by Rawhi Fattouh.
- 1554: Pope Gregory XV (d. 1623).
- 1902: Saint Josemaría Escrivá, Spanish Catholic priest and founder of Opus Dei (d. 1975).
- 1958: Mehmet Ali Ağca, Turkish attempted assassin of Pope John Paul II.
- Metropolitan Philip II of Moscow (1569)
- Theophan the Recluse
- Martyr Polyeuctus of Melitene in Armenia (259)
- Saint Eustratius the Wonderworker (821)
- Prophet Shemaiah (10th century BC)
- Saint Peter of Sebaste, bishop in Armenia (391)
- Repose of Elder Jonah, founder of Holy Trinity Monastery in Kiev (1902)